Have you ever found yourself in a city and wondered how to make the most of your day? Perhaps you’d like to get a deeper insight into the city itself from a local or maybe you’d like to explore further afield but you don’t want the hassle of trying to navigate public transport. And if you’re a solo traveller, perhaps you’d like some company for the day.
That’s how I was feeling on a visit to Zurich many years ago. I had a day to myself between the events I was attending and I really wanted to visit the Appenzell region, an idyllic area of Switzerland that’s a little off the regular tourist trail.
The solution was to join a day tour and I found myself aboard a Best of Switzerland Tours’ mini coach for what turned out to be an absolutely fantastic day. Our friendly and knowledgeable driver/guide chauffeured myself and my fellow passengers around for the day so we could indulge in chocolate and cheese and visit the beautiful town of Appenzell. It was the perfect, hassle-free day out.
Best of Switzerland Tours is still going strong today – in fact, they offer an even wider variety of tours than when I was a passenger, including some premium small group tours that give their customers the chance to meet and support local artisans.
With day tours from Zurich, Lucerne and Interlaken available, as well as multi-day tours, there really is something to suit everyone.
To tell us all about how the company has evolved over the years and to share some details of the wonderful tours they offer, I’m joined in this episode by Best of Switzerland Tours’ CEO Christian Landis and Operations Manager Amanda Zurbrügg.
If you need to go on a tour, you need Switzerland.
[This post may contain compensated links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.]
As always, I’d like to thank the lovely folks from Switzerland Tourism for sponsoring the podcast. You can find loads of Swiss travel information and inspiration on myswitzerland.com.
Click on the green button below to listen to this episode.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The history behind Best of Switzerland Tours
- Who Best of Switzerland Tours are most suitable for
- The range of tours offered by Best of Switzerland Tours
- Best of Switzerland Tours’ most popular day trips from Zurich
- Best of Switzerland’s tour guides
- Why visitors to Switzerland should book an excursion with Best of Switzerland Tours
The Best of Switzerland Tours mentioned in this episode
- Zurich ‘Classic’ City Tour with lake cruise – tour the university quarter of Zurich by bus, enjoy a guided walk through the Old Town and relax on a one hour cruise on Lake Zurich to see the city from a different perspective. > More info here.
- Zurich with cruise and chocolate – combine a tour of the highlights of Zurich with a visit to the Lindt Home of Chocolate for tastings galore. This tour also includes a 24-hour public transport pass to use after your tour concludes. > More info here.
- Rhine Falls – take in the spectacle of Europe’s biggest waterfall, the Rhine Falls, on either a morning or after tour from Zurich. The afternoon tour also includes a visit to the attractive medieval town of Stein am Rhein. > More info here and > here.
- Mt. Pilatus Golden Round Trip – travel by coach, cable car, the world’s steepest cogwheel railway and boat on this day trip to Mt. Pilatus for stunning views over Lake Lucerne. > More info here.
- Mt. Titlis – hop aboard a revolving cable car for the journey to Mt. Titlis, land of eternal snow and ice. Enjoy magnificent views, ride the Ice Flyer chairlift and walk across Europe’s highest suspension bridge, the Cliff Walk. > More info here.
- Jungfraujoch – Switzerland’s most popular mountain excursion needs no introduction! This full day tour includes travel on the Eiger Express cableway and allows plenty of time to enjoy the many attractions at Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe. > More info here.
- Rafting and canyoning – Best of Switzerland Tours’ adventure tours including both rafting and canyoning in Interlaken. Fully qualified adventure guides accompany guests during the activities. More info about rafting tour s here and you’ll find canyoning tours info > here.
- Mt. First adventure package – Spend an exhilarating day at Grindelwald First and enjoy a range of activities. Your tour includes the cable car to Mt. First, Cliff Walk, First Flyer (zip line), mountain cart ride and trotti bike ride. > More info here.
- Skiing – If skiing is your thing, why not join a guided tour to Mt. Titlis or Grindelwald? Both tours include rental of ski clothing and equipment, as well as cable car tickets. The Swiss Ski Experience at Grindelwald also includes a 2.5 hour ski lesson. More info about Mt. Titlis > here and Grindelwald > here.
- Top of Switzerland package – Combine three of Switzerland’s top mountain excursions in one package. Over three days you’ll visit Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis and Jungfraujoch with overnight stays on Mt. Pilatus and in Lucerne included. > More info here.
- Mountain Wellness – Get away from it all with a 2 day / 1 night tour to Mt. Rigi. Stay overnight on Mt. Rigi, enjoy a 4-course dinner, and relax in the thermal spa – and wake up to breathtaking views. > More info here.
Small group tours
- Mountains, cheese and chocolate – Indulge in Swiss cheese and chocolate on this premium small group tour to Eastern Switzerland. Visit a typical Swiss farm, the Appenzeller Show Dairy and a local artisan chocolate boutique. > More info here.
- Bern: Swiss Capital and Countryside – Travel through the Entlebuch and Emmental valleys en route to Bern where you’ll discover the Old Town on a guided walk. Enjoy a visit to the Kambly biscuit factory and the Emmentaler Show Dairy. > More info here.
- Zurich Sunset Tour with Cheese Fondue – what better way is there to end the day than with a sunset tour? The tour includes a visit to the Lindt Home of Chocolate, and a four-course dinner – including fondue – with breathtaking views at Felsenegg restaurant overlooking Zurich. > More info here.
You’ll find details of all of the excursions offered by Best of Switzerland Tours on their website.
You can read detailed guides about many of the destinations featured in this episode on the following links:
>> To see all our previous podcast episodes – which include episodes on many of the destinations visited by Best of Switzerland Tours – click here.
Share the Swiss travel love
Never miss an episode! Make sure you follow the Holidays to Switzerland Travel Podcast to get notified each time a new episode is published.
If you enjoy the Holidays to Switzerland Travel Podcast and find it helpful, please leave us a 5 star rating or review. This will enable us to reach and help more travellers who are planning their own trip to Switzerland. Thanks for your support.
>> To see all podcast episodes, click here.
This episode is sponsored by Switzerland Tourism
All photos courtesy of Best of Switzerland Tours.
Planning a trip to Switzerland?
At Holidays to Switzerland we are passionate about sharing our love of Switzerland and helping you to plan the perfect trip. Read our guide to planning a trip to Switzerland to kick start your travel plans and join our free Switzerland Travel Planning group on Facebook to chat with other past and future travellers.
Want monthly news and podcast updates, helpful travel tips and special deals sent straight to your inbox? Subscribe to Holidays to Switzerland and we’ll send you a bonus copy of our 10 Useful Things to Know Before You Visit Switzerland guide.