I hope you’ve left some room in your Swiss itinerary for another fantastic mountain excursion because after hearing from our guest in this episode you’ll be very keen to experience the Matterhorn Alpine Crossing, which links Zermatt in Switzerland with Cervinia in Italy, for yourself.
Back in episode 51, we learnt about the excursion from Zermatt to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise but with the recent opening of the Matterhorn Alpine Crossing, it’s now possible to travel all the way to Italy by cable car.
In fact, the new Glacier Ride II which connects Matterhorn Glacier Paradise with Testa Grigia on the Swiss Italian border, is the highest alpine crossing by cable car at an altitude of 3,480 metres above sea level.
There are plenty of reasons to include a stay in Zermatt in your travel plans and the new Matterhorn Alpine Crossing is one of them, as you’ll discover in my chat with Claudia Wyss from Zermatt Cableways.
[This post may contain compensated links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.]
As always, I’d like to say a huge thank you to Switzerland Tourism for sponsoring the podcast. You’ll find lots of great info to help plan your trip to Switzerland on their website, myswitzerland.com.
If you need the train ride of a lifetime, you need Switzerland.
Click the green button below to listen:
In this episode you’ll learn about:
- Which towns the Matterhorn Alpine Crossing connects
- The history of the Matterhorn Alpine Crossing
- How to travel between Zermatt and Cervinia
- Matterhorn Alpine Crossing ticket prices
- Things to see and do at the intermediate stations
- Travelling one way between Switzerland and Italy (or vice versa)
- How long to allow for your excursion on the Matterhorn Alpine Crossing
Claudia Wyss was lucky to grow up in the Swiss town of Zermatt surrounded by mountains. Growing up, she always used the cableways to go skiing, biking, hiking, or climbing. You won’t find Claudia at home very often as she as loves spending as much time as possible outdoors.
She loves meeting people from all over the world and telling them about her beautiful hometown, its fantastic cableway infrastructure and all the fun things there are to do in Zermatt.
Information mentioned in this episode
Matterhorn Alpine Crossing route and intermediate stations:
- Zermatt -> Trockener Steg (via Schwarzsee or Füri)
- Trockener Steg -> Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
- Matterhorn Glacier Paradise -> Testa Grigia
- Testa Grigia -> Cime Bianche
- Cime Bianche -> Plan Maison
- Plan Maison -> Cervinia
Other helpful resources
- The Matterhorn Cableways website has all the details about the Matterhorn Alpine Crossing, as well as live webcams. You can also purchase tickets for the Matterhorn Alpine Crossing on the website.
- Read our detailed guide How to experience the Matterhorn Alpine Crossing.
- Click the following links to read our guides to things to do in Zermatt, best mountain excursions from Zermatt and best hotels in Zermatt.
- Listen to episode 51 of our podcast to learn about excursions from Zermatt to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, Rothorn and Gornergrat.
To see all our podcast episodes, > click here.
This episode is sponsored by Switzerland Tourism
Share the Swiss travel love
Never miss an episode! Make sure you follow the Holidays to Switzerland Travel Podcast to get notified each time a new episode is published.
If you enjoy the Holidays to Switzerland Travel Podcast and find it helpful, please leave us a 5 star rating or review. This will enable us to reach and help more travellers who are planning their own trip to Switzerland. Thanks for your support.
Planning a trip to Switzerland?
At Holidays to Switzerland we are passionate about sharing our love of Switzerland and helping you to plan the perfect trip. Read our guide to planning a trip to Switzerland to kick start your travel plans and join our free Switzerland Travel Planning group on Facebook to chat with other past and future travellers.
Want monthly news and podcast updates, helpful travel tips and special deals sent straight to your inbox? Subscribe to Holidays to Switzerland and we’ll send you a bonus copy of our 10 Useful Things to Know Before You Visit Switzerland guide.
🇨🇭 Check out our exclusive discount offers and save on your Swiss vacation. 🇨🇭