In July 2022 I spent five fabulous weeks exploring Switzerland, from east to west and south to north, and what a trip it was!
My husband and I had a fantastic trip but it wasn’t only a holiday – there was plenty of research and trying out new experiences so that I can share them with you, too.
I also had the opportunity to meet some of the lovely guests who have been on the podcast and try out their products and services myself. It was wonderful to get to know these wonderful ambassadors for Switzerland and to get a first-hand appreciation of their hotels, tours, rail passes and more.
In this episode, I thought I’d share with you an overview of my itinerary and some of the many new things I learnt along the way. Hopefully this will help you to plan your own dream trip to Switzerland.
[This post may contain compensated links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.]
Before we get started, I’d like to say a huge thank you to Switzerland Tourism, sponsors of the podcast. Take a look at their website myswitzerland.com for loads of info and inspiration for planning your Swiss vacation. There are an endless number of scenic places that will capture your heart in this beautiful country, so if you need the perfect shot, you need Switzerland.
Click the green button below to listen:
Listen now to learn:
- Carolyn’s itinerary
- The highlights of Carolyn’s trip
- Carolyn’s thoughts on the Swiss Travel Pass
- Her thoughts on the Regional-Pass Berner Oberland
- The apps that were most helpful during Carolyn’s trip
- Useful things to know when traveling in Switzerland
Useful articles about places mentioned in this episode (click the destination to read the article):
- Mt. Rigi
- Montreux and Vevey
Rail passes, hotels and products mentioned in this article (click for more information):
- Swiss Travel Pass
- Regional Pass Berner Oberland
- Belvedere Strandhotel, Spiez
- Hotel Restaurant Gloria, Beatenberg
- Best of Switzerland Tours Zurich city tour, cruise and Lindt Home of Chocolate
- Travelers WiFi
- Wise (debit card)
- Switzerland Itinerary Planner
5 week Switzerland itinerary
Appenzellerland – 6 nights
Accommodation: Sankt Peterzell farmhouse cottage
- Appenzeller Show Dairy at Stein, visits to Schwellbrunn and Hemberg
- St. Gallen
- Seealpsee hike
- Schaffhausen and Rhine Falls
- Walensee – cruise to Quinten
Mt. Rigi – 1 night
Transport: Car to Vitznau (left it in parking garage overnight)
Transport: Cogwheel train Vitznau/Mt. Rigi/Vitznau
Accommodation: Hotel Rigi Kaltbad
- Hike from Rigi Kulm to Rigi Kaltbad (1 hour)
- Thermal spa
Lugano – 6 nights
Transport: Car (returned to Como on day 2, then public transport using the Swiss Travel Pass)
Accommodation: Guesthouse Castagnola – lovely accommodation and delicious breakfast.
- Walked to Gandria for dinner first night
- Old Town, Grotti cruise and dinner
- Monte Bre
- Cruise to Morcote
- Swimming at Lugano Lido
Zermatt – 2 nights
Transport: Train (Swiss Travel Pass), including Glacier Express from Andermatt to Zermatt
Accommodation: Hotel Daniela – great hotel with very friendly staff and delicious breakfast.
- Gornergrat excursion, walked from Gornergrat via Riffelsee to Rotenboden to ‘meet the sheep’
Chexbres – 3 nights
Transport: Train (Swiss Travel Pass)
Accommodation: Baron Tavernier Hotel Restaurant & Spa
- Montreux Jazz Festival
- Walked to St. Saphorin (in Lavaux vineyards), train to Vevey, cruise to Lausanne,
- Gruyères and Maison Cailler
- Charlie Chaplin Museum
Yverdon-les-Bains – 4 nights
Transport: Train (Swiss Travel Pass)
Accommodation: Hotel & Centre Thermal d’Yverdon les Bains
*See my thoughts on the hotel here*
- Old Town
- Train to Murten, cruised to Neuchatel, train to Yverdon
- Train to La Neuveville, cruised to Twann and back, train to Yverdon
Spiez – 2 nights
Transport: Train (Swiss Travel Pass)
Accommodation: Belvedere Strandhotel – a beautifully appointed 4* Superior hotel with excellent facilities and friendly, helpful staff. The restaurant, which serves delicious meals, and the Captain’s Bar both have stunning views of Spiez Castle and Lake Thun. The spa and infinity pool were fabulous and we loved the private lakeside lido. This was definitely the most luxurious hotel we stayed at on our trip and we could not fault it.
- Stroll around town and harbour, tourist train around town
- Swimming in hotel pool and private lido
- Mt. Niesen
Lauterbrunnen – 7 nights (including 1 night at Beatenberg)
Transport: Train (Regional-Pass Berner Oberland)
Accommodation: 1 bedroom apartment
You can find a similar apartment on this link.
Additional accommodation: Hotel Gloria – in a superb location overlooking Lake Thun, you can’t help but unwind the moment you walk through the doors. The genuine welcome from owners/hosts Jacky and Bernie makes you feel like you are visiting family. Add in the comfortable rooms – each with its own balcony with gorgeous views, delicious meals cooked by Bernie and the homely touches throughout the hotel and you won’t want to leave. We absolutely loved our stay at Hotel Gloria in Beatenberg.
- Schilthorn excursion including Birg, Allmendhubel, Murren and Gimmelwald
- Visited Interlaken, bus to Beatenberg for overnight stay
- Niederhorn excursion from Beatenberg, returned to Lauterbrunnen
- Excursion from Wengen to Mannlichen – Grindelwald – Eigergletscher – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald – Lauterbrunnen (hiked from Eigergletscher to KS)
- Train to Meiringen, Reichenbach Falls, Aare Gorge, Trauffer Factory, Lake Brienz cruise to Interlaken
- Excursion from Wengen to Mannlichen to Grindelwald and return, hike from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen | train back to Wengen for dinner
Zurich – 2 nights
Transport: Train (Regional-Pass covered us to Lucerne, individual ticket from Lucerne to Zurich)
Accommodation: Sorell Hotel Seefeld
- Lunch in Lucerne and quick look around Old Town and Chapel Bridge, dinner at Zeughauskeller in Zurich, stroll around Old Town
- 5.5 hour tour with Best of Switzerland Tours – city sights, cruise and Lindt Home of Chocolate | Lake cruise in the evening
More Holidays to Switzerland Resources
You’ll find detailed guides to most of the destinations that were visited in our itinerary on the website. There are also podcast episodes on most of these destinations, as well as episodes about the Swiss Travel Pass, Regional Pass Berner Oberland, Best of Switzerland Tours, Belvedere Strandhotel and Hotel Gloria Beatenberg.
Share the Swiss travel love
Never miss an episode! Make sure you follow the Holidays to Switzerland Travel Podcast to get notified each time a new episode is published.
If you enjoy the Holidays to Switzerland Travel Podcast and find it helpful, please leave us a 5 star rating or review. This will enable us to reach and help more travellers who are planning their own trip to Switzerland. Thanks for your support.
>> To see all podcast episodes, click here.
This episode is sponsored by Switzerland Tourism
Planning a trip to Switzerland?
At Holidays to Switzerland we are passionate about sharing our love of Switzerland and helping you to plan the perfect trip. Read our guide to planning a trip to Switzerland to kick start your travel plans and join our free Switzerland Travel Planning group on Facebook to chat with other past and future travellers.
Want monthly news and podcast updates, helpful travel tips and special deals sent straight to your inbox? Subscribe to Holidays to Switzerland and we’ll send you a bonus copy of our 10 Useful Things to Know Before You Visit Switzerland guide.